Tuesday 10 May 2011

Potato and smoked trout gratin

Three whole months since I've updated my food blog! Well, after all, there's more to life than food. But, to misquote the back of my shampoo bottle, it's a good place to start. Just now I made this potato gratin with smoked trout:


We'd just got back from a short trip away and there wasn't much food in the house, but we had potatoes, a packet of cream, and some smoked trout. So I sliced the potatoes the thickness of one pound coins and layered them up with pieces of trout in a baking dish, then poured over a mixture of cream, milk, creme fraiche (sorry, I JUST can't be bothered to go into character map and do the accents today), grainy mustard, salt and pepper, and grated some leftover manchego cheese over the top. I baked it in the oven at 190 degrees for an hour, then served it with green beans.

I was inspired by a recipe in Nigel Slater's 'Real Food' which calls for smoked mackerel, which I think would have been even better. (I also happen to know that a potato gratin is amazing with anchovies. Sounds weird, tastes great - trust me.) As we ate it on the balcony, a thunderstorm started, which made for a pretty atmospheric meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment