Saturday 8 May 2010

Chocolate apple betty


The first sweet thing to make it into my blog! I went round to a friend's house for dinner last night and brought this as dessert. Lucky that I took the photo before I went out, because it looked somewhat the worse for wear after 10 minutes' bumping over the cobbles in my bike basket!

This dessert was a real random mishmash of things that needed using up. First on the list were some apples that I'd bought at the organic stall in the market last Sunday, but which were already on their last legs by yesterday. I thumbed through my recipe books and found a recipe in Nigel Slater's 'Real Food' (a great book) for 'chocolate apple betty', which is like an apple crumble but with breadcrumbs and brown sugar instead of crumble, chocolate pieces dotted around the apple, and a mixture of melted butter and golden syrup poured over the top before baking for goood measure! In place of the breadcrumbs, I decided to crumble up the remaining three ginger cookies that I'd bought at the same organic stall and sprinkle them over the top. Apples, chocolate and ginger - what could be better? There weren't enough ginger biscuit crumbs to go round so I bulked it out with some of my granola from the farm shop, which is basically oats. Naturally, I retained the butter and golden syrup topping. We ate it with Haagen Dazs dulche de leche ice cream.

Between the two of us we polished off about two thirds of it, but my friend insisted that I take the rest back home with me, suggesting I have it for breakfast the next day. A nice idea, but it would take a braver woman than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment